Friday, July 28, 2017

First Impressions, Lie to Me




A couple weeks ago, I started watching a new television series. Lie to Me concerns an expert on lie detection. It is a really fascinating look at cues in people's body language that are a tip off to a lie. One of the very interesting statements made by the lie expert was that the most popular students in high school are the best liars. I am hoping they flesh out the character of the principal lie detector, played by Tim Roth.



On another thought, this year and last I have been thinking about first impressions and how they are formed. It was after some first meetings and my contrasting feelings. One of the people I met, I'll call him Nelly, I knew very little about. When I met Nelly, I felt instantly calm. And neither he or I had said anything of much importance. He made a really good impression. I'm not even sure why but I definitely got the feeling he was a good man.


Another person, I'll call Sheila gave me a negative impression. And again, in our conversation exchange we said nothing of any importance. Somehow I did not feel comfortable about her. Later on, an acquaintance inadvertently gave me some clues as to why. He's the kind of guy that makes a good first impression and is very likable.


I'll say that first impressions aren't always accurate. It's a very strange thing, don't you think? I'm not sure why I hit it on the head perfectly with some impressions but miss the mark completely with others. How accurate am I, I wonder.



Note: This was written and originally published on 2/1/2009.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home